Deadline: Tuesday July 7, 5PM
Starting date: ASAP
VVOB – education for development, is a non-profit organisation contributing to the improvement of quality of education in nine countries around the world. VVOB South Africa strengthens school leaders and teachers to respond to learner diversity in primary schools. We operate in a local and international network of education departments, universities, unions, expert organizations and donors. Together with our partners, we strive for an equitable society for all.
VVOB is currently looking for a Communication Officer passionate about equity in education and with the right attitude and skills to join our team of about twenty colleagues. The communication officer is responsible for external communication with different target groups trough different channels, for (online) material development and will contribute to some project activities.
This position is based at the VVOB office in Pretoria. The jobholder will report directly to the VVOB Programme Manager in Pretoria. The role involves travel within South Africa, particularly to KwaZulu-Natal and Free State. This post is open to South African applicants.
Are you excited to...
Support our website/social media/YouTube (and other):
- Develop content based on programme documents and activities, like press releases, articles;
- Develop audio and video (multi-media) materials;
- Check and upload website and Facebook page;
Support material development:
- Develop communication materials for programmes/projects:
- Format general materials for meetings, workshops, etc. (e.g. PowerPoint);
- Develop/produce/format creative content and communication-specific, project-related materials, etc. (e.g. two-pagers, magazines, reports, manuals);
- Artistic, creative design (e.g. cartoons, illustrations, logo’s);
- Follow up on development of online learning, communication materials, Open Educational Resources (OER):
- Assist with instructional design;
- Develop ToR and assist in selection of providers;
- Follow up with the providers (i.e. take the lead and involve team-members at the right time)
- Support online course implementation (technical support, monitoring, managing interactions between learners, teachers and content);
- Contributing to monitoring and evaluation of online course implementation;
- Support project/programme activities:
- M&E project activities;
- Create documentation like photos, videos, interviews, etc.;
- Support capacity development of partners in communication-related issues;
- Information management (e.g. structure and maintenance of shared folders, ensuring processes and related products are stored);
- Perform other related duties as required.
- A South African national, based in/close to/willing to relocate to Pretoria (at own cost);
- Bachelor’s degree communication or equivalent by experience.
- At least three years of relevant work experience;
- Experience in development sector/non-profit sector and/or education sector is an advantage.
- Up to date with relevant software/technologies (e.g. Microsoft, Moodle, InDesign, Photoshop, etc.)
- Fluent written and oral command of English and at least one more SA language.
- Experience in one or more of the following:
- Social media (strategy);
- Content creation;
- Video/photo editing;
- Multi-media design and layout;
- M&E related activities.
- Experience with instructional design of online courses is an advantage.
- Experience with gender equity is an advantage.
VVOB expects the person to start asap and offers a contract for a period not exceeding the programme period (December 2021).
Supervised by the Programme Manager based in Pretoria.
Remuneration and benefits
- Annual salary from ZAR 344,569 (to ZAR 473,861) CTC depending on relevant work experience;
- 24 days annual leave;
- Professional development opportunities;
- Study support;
- Support for tuition fee;
- Support for medical insurance;
- The opportunity to work in an amazing team with an inexhaustible passion for equitable education.
How to apply
1. A CV (including id number, telephone number and email addresses of 3 references);
2. A motivation letter (addressing all issues in the ‘Profile’).
Send to firstname.lastname@example.org before Tuesday July 7, 2020, 5pm.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates will take a written test, go through an interview process, and will have reference checks before a final offer.
VVOB is committed to providing equal opportunities and practising affirmative action employment.